Authorities in Nevada say Art Bell, a syndicated radio host best known for nightly shows in the 90s about paranormal themes and conspiracy theories, died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. He was 72.
According to the Nye County Sheriff in an audio statement on Facebook on Aug. 1, he died of “multiple drug intoxication from his own lawfully prescribed prescriptions and determined the cause of death to be an accidental overdose.”
He died in April 2018 in his home in Pahrump, Nevada. The official medical examiner’s report was sent to the sheriff’s office on Aug. 1.
Coroner John Fudenberg in Las Vegas says Bell had the painkillers oxycodone and hydrocodone, the sedative diazepam and the muscle-relaxant carisoprodol in his system.
Officials say there was no indication of foul play.
“Art had a fascination with the afterlife,” an announcement on Bell’s website stated, “and it’s heartwarming to know he peacefully slipped into the next world and now knows the answers he sought for so long.”
His website stated that he had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD. According to U.S. government website Medicine Plus, “The main cause of COPD is long-term exposure to substances that irritate and damage the lungs. This is usually cigarette smoke. Air pollution, chemical fumes, or dust can also cause it.”
According to the New York Times, Bell once recalled driving home with his wife and seeing a 150-foot-long triangular craft hovering above their car before disappearing.
“It really doesn’t matter that much to me if anyone believes me,” Bell said. “Thousands of people seeing the same thing cannot all be wrong.”
Bell retired from radio for good in 2015, coming five months after launching “Midnight in the Desert.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.